I searched the used costume section at Value Village and I found this weird yet cool purple scaley-looking shirt that would be perfect for the body of the costume.
Here are the materials that I used:
- Purple shirt
- Batting (or the inside of an extra pillow)
- Velcro strips
- Styrofoam balls
- Pipe cleaners
- Black marker
- Purple hat
I started by laying the shirt out. Then, I took one of her shirts for measurements and laid it on top of the purple shirt. Depending on the size of the shirt and the size of your child, make sure you plan it out before cutting! I traced and cut two times on an x-large mens shirt so that I ended up with 4 pieces in total. I traced around it, and then cut probably about 2 1/2" from my trace line. If your shirt isn't big enough, make sure you grab another one (or one thats similar) to use at the inside fabric.
I made this quick visual chart to show the steps I did. Mind you, I messed up alot! I don't sew very often [at all] so I really just winged this! Hopefully its somewhat easy to follow. It's just a rough guide to show you the basics on how I made it and hopefully it can help you in your endeavours if your planning on making one yourself.
For the hat:
I cut up some longish pieces of yarn and ran a quick stitch over them through the top of the hat. I placed the pipe cleaners inside the ears of my hat and stitched them shut so they stayed in. I stabbed the styrofoam balls with the pipe cleaners and drew eyes on them.
Here's the family Halloween photo. Kate-lynn was a greek goddess (far right), Mekenzie was a zombie cheerleader (beside her sister) and Isaiah was Pikachu (behind his Aunt in the stripped prisoner costume). Hubby and I didn't dress up this year but it was still a fun evening with the family.
Thanks for reading!